| Image Source: WikiVillage |
How Do You Use Tools as a Computer Scientist?
Computer scientists have a lot of tools available to them. In fact, it could be argued that there are an infinite number of tools available. Besides physical tools such as a computer and an IDE, there also exist an innumerable amount of tools in the form of knowledge. In this day and age where the answer to every question is only a tap (or a voice command) away, there is no limit to the amount of knowledge we can amass. Knowledge is key component for success in any field. As computer scientists, we should know better than anyone how easily accessible the answers to all of our questions are. Another critical tool as a computer scientist is the people around you. Having someone in the same field as you who you can go to and learn from is an invaluable asset. No matter the tool, each and every one has a special purpose in the overall puzzle that is a career in computer science.
Which Tools Did You Discover This Semester?
This semester I had the opportunity of utilizing many different tools. Not only did I have physical tools such as my computer, a camera, and video production software, but I also had teammates to help support me and a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips that allowed me to successfully learn and apply the skills necessary to create a great project.What are Some of Your Favorite and Least Favorite Tools?
My absolute favorite tool is Google. I believe that knowledge is one of our greatest assets and Google is the gateway to unlimited and easily accessible knowledge. My least favorite tool probably has to be hardcopy books. As technology advances, information is becoming more and more easily accessible. While books can be a great resource, I find myself going straight to Google when I want to learn or research something.
How are Tools Changing? Why is This Important?
As I previously stated, technology is advancing and information is becoming more and more readily available. Old methods of discovering and researching are being quickly replaced by quicker, more efficient methods. It is important that tools change because the world we live in is changing as well. Information is a living entity. It changes as the world does. Hardcopy books cannot update themselves to reflect the newest information. In a day and age where information is changing on a day to day basis, we have to utilize tools that can keep up with the constant influx of changing information.
References:
[Hammer on Keyboard ]. Retrieved May 7, 2014 from
http://wikivillage.co.za/sites/default/files/wiki/computer-repair-man/images/computer-repair-man-1351612489.jpg
Hi Jonathan,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting blog ! I completely agree with you the most critical tool for any computer scientist is the people around you who are in the same field as they share information based on their experiences which is better than an internet search result any day. I too find Google to be my favorite tool !